Sunday, July 20, 2008

Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes


I really enjoyed that this book was written like a poem. Incorporating spanish with english helps to introduce children to a different language and gets them excited about it. The illustrations are also amazing and I think it really lets kids use their imagination. I will say that I think the younger children might get scared reading this book so it may not be a good idea for kindergarten and 1st grade, but the older children would really enjoy it. I also like that in the end the monsters are scared by the children, it adds a fun twist.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

Mallory, I completly agree with you on this book. I loved how the spanish and english were interegated together. I know it helps students from both languages see how common it is for people to speak both languages. Keep up the great blogs!

Alicia Ostmeyer said...

I really loved how they integrated Spanish words within the text as well. I think this book can be used as a great example to show children that context clues can be used while reading. The context clues can help children figure out words they don't know(Spanish words). For instance, looking at the pictures or the surrounding words, children will be able to figure out the Spanish words in this text if they didn't already know them.